Tobacco has long since been known to cause a wide range of serious medical conditions which includes lung cancer, emphysema, and heart disease, among others.
Oral Problems Caused By Smoking
Recent studies reveal that frequent exposure to tobacco holds a distinctive and equally dangerous impact on oral health. Your mouth is the initial and main point of contact between the rest of your body and the butt of a burning cigarette. Your mouth is essentially the very location where the many toxic ingredients of a cigarette converge to later gain access to rest of your body.
Among the many known dental problems caused by regular tobacco use include:
- Bad breath, otherwise known as halitosis
- Tooth discoloration due to nicotine stains
- Increased plaque and tartar buildup
- Increased bone loss within jaw
- Increased risk of developing white patches, otherwise known as leukoplakia
- Increased risk of acquiring periodontal disease, eventually progressing to toothloss
- Slower healing and recovery following dental surgeries
- Increased risk of acquiring oral cancer
Smoking And Periodontal Disease
Regular exposure to cigars, cigarettes, and other tobacco products is known to interfere with the normal functions of the gums in a cellular level. This interference negatively impacts the attachment between the soft tissues of the gums and your teeth. When this happens, your gums become more susceptible to infections.
Infections that occur on the gums often affect blood flow and wound healing. When left untreated, this ultimately progresses to gingivitis and periodontitis.
CBD Dental Ballarat gives its patients another reason to smile. Performing only the most effective dental procedures known to modern dentistry, your Ballarat Dentist is your partner in achieving optimal dental and oral wellness.
- 6 Dec, 2013
- Ryan Davies
- 0 Comments
- Ballarat Dentist, CBD Dental Ballarat, Dentist In Ballarat,